3.28.2010

A feeling of beauty...

I have been revisiting some of my favorite parts from a book I would highly recommend, The Architecture of Happiness, by Alain de Botton. This is a fantastically written book on architecture and I don't think it will be the last time I revisit it here...

As Alain de Botton so wonderfully put, "To describe a building as beautiful therefore suggests more than mere aesthetic fondness; it implies an attraction to the particular way of life this structure is promoting through its roof, door handles, window frames, staircase and furnishings. A feeling of beauty is a sign that we have come upon a material articulation of certain of our ideas of a good life."

This statement is so true. We all may have our own ideas of a "good life". What "material articulation" have you come across that seems to promote your idea of a good life?

Whenever I come across a picture that gives me a feeling of beauty, I save it in a folder. Here are some inspirational photos that express my idea of a good life...



6 comments:

angela said...

i love the style and feel of your blog! :) and those target liberty collection items.. drool...too bad they are all sold out at our local target!

sideoats + scribbles said...

I LOVE your "love" shot, because it looks like a wonderful prairie. Great to see prairies getting their due, the trees usually get the spotlight. :)

Poppies and Sunshine said...

You MUST go check out the whole photo shoot on the "love" link. They are the cutest couple ever!

Cornflake said...

Love the nature shot, very romantic and ethereal. A little Alice in Wonderland perhaps with the dining table set for tea...

Totally agree about how important a good environment is for the soul. I can't cope without aesthetically pleasing things around me, lol :-)

Poppies and Sunshine said...

I can't seem to cope under the same circumstances either! A person's environment really does affect their mood I think.

Unknown said...

pictures are incredible. I find myself in first three pics
I like you :)